Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Rohirric Loremaster

Of the renowned adventurers hailing from the Donderrion clan of Northmen, Metaxas is the eldest. While Argendauss is a gallant crusader in the fight against Sauron's growing influence, and whereas Rechart is a stalwart defender of the Free People from Forochel to Rivendell, Metaxas Donderrion is a different sort of man. Metaxas fashions himself as both a seeker and applier of knowledge; he is a Loremaster. 
Metaxas's pack is filled with bags of powders and jars of liquids, the properties of which are known to few beings, much less short-lived men. In seconds, he can produce from that pack both cures for his allies and flames for his foes. Of the martial arts, Metaxas is a master of both staff and sword. When his enemies are not consumed by nature's fury, they succumb to cracked skills and cleaved limbs. Metaxas has wandered Middle Earth, seeing and learning the frigid forests of the Misty Mountains and southern Forochel, the treacherous Old Forest, and the endless golden canopy of Lothlorien. Through his journeys, nature has become his ally, and it fights with this Loremaster against Mordor's armies.
This outfit is another one in the series of Rohirrim outfits that I announced a while back but took a break in the middle of. As I initially stated, I used the Rohirrim Tunic & Pants from Stangard as the centerpiece of this outfit. The rich Rivendell Green dye I chose is tempered by the slightly faded base of the tunic; the result is pleasingly practical hue of green. Next, I chose the shoulders based on their cut. I feel like a mantle is the most appropriate look for my light armor classes, and I tend to gravitate toward that style of shoulder cosmetics. Mantles convey "caster" and are easy to pair with medium and even heavy armor to balance out the concepts of "warrior" and "caster." 
Both the previously proscribed green theme and the brown leather bits I happened to pick up come together to create an earthy outfit befit a character class so in tune with nature like the Loremaster.
One bottleneck for creating this outfit was finding the right shoulders for the outfit. I had little inclination to use the "scarf" type light shoulders so common in SoA armor. Neither did I want to use the drapy Dunland mantle that everyone else uses. However, having previewed the RoR crafted cosmetics on the forums, I knew the T8 lvl 80 medium crafted shoulders were just right for my purpose. Until I copied over my characters into Beta 5, this outfit had laid dormant, unfinished.
Above all, though, the boots concerned me. The problem here is that those damnable pants of the tunic & pants combo clip with every pair of boots. I suppose I could have just picked shoes, but I wanted the volume of a good pair of boots to bulk up the silhouette of this outfit. I finally broke down and tried everything I could think of to see quite literally which shoe fit, and I decided upon these Warden boots. The color and cut are just perfect for this purpose, and, if you open your imagination (or just inject a lot of wishful thinking like me), the pants and humongous boot cuffs seem like all one piece.
Notice I ditched the effort to match the Steed of the Eastemnet to this outfit. The Steed of Eorlingas just works too well with this outfit, as well as the previous one, truth be told.
Pieces:
  • Head:  (Umber dye); T8 lvl 80 light crafted
  • Shoulders:  (green dye); T8 lvl 80 medium crafted
  • Back: Sage's Pack (default dye); LotRO Store
  • Chest: Rohirrim Tunic and Pants (Rivendell green dye); Stangard barter
  • Hands:  (green dye); T8 lvl 80 medium crafted
  • Feet: Ceremonial Town-saver's Boots (Rivendell green dye); Rift cosmetics
These pictures were taken right before dawn because of the phenomenon of it always being night when I want to take screenshots, as Laenlis of Landroval Times pointed out recently.
Also, Metaxas has bald hair, like a champin playr.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice Rohirric Loremaster. It's a real shame those RoI mounts don't translate to War-steed Outfits. Love the green you used. It's my favourite green dye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it! Yeah, I'd love to have the Eorlingas caparison as a Warsteed cosmetic option. Gosh, that leather and that green go so well with this outfit. However, I am optimistic about the many many types of RoR Warsteed cosmetics. Surely I'll find something suitable!

      Delete
  2. Nicely done! The boots really do work for me. As you said the cuff does give the illusion of being one piece with the added plus of bringing the little metal button detail down on to the boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an irksome challenge to overcome--had me cussin'. But I was proud when I found a solution. So thanks a bunch!

      Delete
  3. Oh damn... new head piece! Need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was deciding between this and the Circlet of the Eorlingas. I decided the more plain crafted circlet fit the theme of this outfit--when dyed umber, it's more woodsy, down to earth. I guess the Eorlingas circlet exudes "Rohan," but gosh it doesn't even fit right on the head!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love those shoulders with this outfit. The whole thing is awesome. And aieee, more headgear to acquire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The lvl 85 medium crafted shoulders are pretty nice too. I just couldn't be fussed to grind up my crafting in Bullroarer for it. I'm so lazy!

      The excellent thing about this crafted stuff is that you can just craft it, trash it, and save space 'cause there's a recipe for it. Unlike all the Dunland quest rewards (which I did like).

      Delete
  5. Well done with this LM outfit! Great way of maintaing the balance between casters and your love for battle-ready compilations with a simple, but powerful ensemble. I see a LM here who is ready for battle, armed with to the teeth with weapons and knowledge : )

    It's also great to see some of the upcoming crafted armor put to good use too...especially those shoulders and circlet. An absolute must have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya very much! A balance like that is what I always go for with my casters, so glad to hear that. As for the gear, this circlet is so much better than the lvl 85 crafted hat too. That one looks like a floppy fisherman hat.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to see the Eorling Captain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessir, I'm actually working on that post right now. I like to do a little bit of a backstory, but nothing's really flowing. I might just skip it!

      Delete